Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Character Sketch # 1- Larry

I wanted to use this blog to post my new sketches. I haven't really painted in 3 years. I've been really frustrated about this, even having nightmares. So I've been researching creativity problems on the web and discovered I should just get back to basics for awhile. I'm starting this new series (cause if you know me I am always working in a series) of characters from my life. People that have left an impression on me. Some I have photos of, some I don't. Along with the sketches I am making notes about the important things I remember about them.

The first character is Larry. I met Larry in 1998 at a small coffee house in Saginaw, MI. He is a Buddhist ( a real Buddhist). He also goes by Kusala-Mula Upasaka. He struck me in many ways because of his caring nature, his smile, his love for the World. He was always seen wearing sweats and sandals, be it May or March. He did handwriting analysis as a hobby. There was always something a bit odd about him though. A sadness I saw. When I found out he was a Vietnam Vet it made more sense. A Buddhist that had to go to War, that is really a crime.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember Larry. He used to come by my old Apt. he wanted to start a meditation group. When he would bring books over, he'd have them wrapped in a brown paper bag always.. He'd start almost every conversation reminding everyone "I'm not an expert-or anything" At the time, I interpreted this as him not wanting us to believe that he fancied himself as one. He was a little odd at times but it never bothered me, I liked that part about him. He was like a little kid. Laughing out loud with Larry was the best, always holding a hand up to hide his smile. Then his eyes would have a smile of their own. Thank you for this blog.